4 things you can do now to drastically improve your skin
The road to healthy, happy skin starts here.
Google has a plethora of quick fixes to "fix" your skin overnight. Firstly, we are here to say, all skin is beautiful. Textured skin is normal skin and you're glowing sis, don't let anyone else tell you different.
From those awful, lemon juice masks and black masks to antioxidant, fragrance free products that repair the skin's barrier and hydrate sensitive sin. Skincare is simple as it is hard, but we are your fairy God-mother here to help.
Healthy skin is not skin with wrinkles, blemishes or acne. Healthy skin is hydrated, plump and with great circulation.
Unhealthy skin on the other hand may have broken capillaries, irregular patches or pigmentation. Some causes of such unhealthy skin may be due to smoking, dehydration, lack of sleep, exposure to free radicals, sun exposure, poor nutrition, poor gut health, chronic cold-wind exposure and more.
Acne on the other hand, may be hormonal or due to poor gut health.
So here is what you need to do:
Drink more water sis.
Our go to water is from a black-owned brand by Jaden Smith's named JUST Water. JUST Water is a Premium Pure Still Spring Water company that is Eco-Friendly, BPA Free and in a Plant-Based Bottle. If you're in the UK you can purchase this beautiful water at Boots, Holland & Barrett or alternatively on Amazon.
Get more sleep.
We see you working hard and we know it's tough, but please try to sleep more.
- Drink your favourite herbal tea before bed to relax yourself.
- Try to go to sleep and get up at the same time every day.
- Avoid sleeping in—even on weekends.
- Fight after-dinner drowsiness.
- Spend more time outside during daylight.
- Avoid bright screens within 1-2 hours of your bedtime.
- When it’s time to sleep, make sure the room is dark.
- The more vigorously you exercise, the more powerful the sleep benefits.
- Avoid big meals at night.
- Avoid alcohol before bed.
- Cut back on sugary foods and refined carbs.
- Eating lots of sugar and refined carbs such as white bread, white rice, and pasta during the day can trigger wakefulness at night and pull you out of the deep, restorative stages of sleep.
- Make relaxation your goal, not sleep.
Reduce Sun exposure + wear SPF every damn day!
Sunscreen is so so important in preventing hyperpigmentation. It prevents the accumulation of photodamage that leads to brown spots and PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation), which is the hyperpigmentation that develops after acne.
Here are our current cruelty-free and black girl approved sunscreens.
Check out our post on SPF.
Save your gut and improve your nutrition
Whether you're an avid spirulina smoothie drinker, vitamin c powder in your first glass of water of the day or the probiotic type. Here are some beautiful vegan supplements that you might want to take a look at that may benefit your skin.
Note. Please check in with your local GP, Dietician or Dermatologist regarding any of our recommendations. All recommendations are not a substitute for professional advice.
Always consult your GP before making changes to your diet or starting a new regime of supplements